I came across this article from Good Housekeeping the other day, tried it out last night....worked great and now I want to share today for all of those who find it difficult to "Turn Off" at night!
The Breathing Trick That Puts You To Sleep in Seconds
Nothing is worse than lying awake at night, willing your brain to shut down so you can rest. Warm milk, lavender oil, and counting sheep — we’ve all tried them. But the new solution could be simply learning to breathe.
The 4-7-8 breathing technique was pioneered Dr. Andrew Weill from Arizona, who describes the yoga-inspired method as “utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere.” Dr.Weill claims that 4-7-8 breathing can help people fall asleep in just 60 seconds by acting as a “natural tranquiliser for the nervous system” that reduces stress and tension in the body.
How do you do it? Remember: All inhaling breaths must be quiet and through your nose and all exhaling breaths must be loud and through your mouth.
How does it help? It takes on more oxygen relaxes the parasympathetic nervous system and promotes a state of calmness. It helps rebalance the nervous system which can become over stimulated during times of stress. It helps you connect with your body and your breathing and distract you from everyday thoughts that can prevent you from sleeping.
1. Before you begin, place the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth just above your teeth and keep it there throughout the exercise.
2. Exhale completely through your mouth quite forcefully so you make a “whoosh” sound.
3. Close your mouth and inhale quietly and softly through your nose for a mental count of four.
4. Hold your breath and count to seven.
5. Next, exhale completely through your mouth, making another whoosh sound for eight seconds in one large breath.
6. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three times for a total of four breaths.
If you are having a tough time getting sleep because you are caring for an aging parent or loved one, give us a call!
Let our St. Louis in home care team help with Respite Care!
If you are in need of the best possible assistance at home for your loved one in the St Louis area or just have questions, contact our Director of Client Care at Assistance Home Care. We are a St. Louis Senior Home Care Agency providing quality and affordable caregivers in St Charles, St Louis, Lincoln and Warren County, Mo.
We would welcome the opportunity to answer your home care questions and more.
St. Louis County 314-631-1989
St. Charles County 636-724-4357
West County 636-200-2909
or visit us online at www.AssistanceAtHome.com