Early Stage Dementia Care
Don’t Let Your Loved One’s Long Term Memory Fool You!
It’s hard for families to rationalize that a loved one may need support or has a memory problem when they can remember things from 40 years ago like they were yesterday. It just doesn’t make sense for a lot of people. However, while their long term memories can be intact, their short term memory is being impacted in a big way. Often these changes or deficits are masked by a spouse who is unknowingly compensating for these deficits.
Short Term Memory Deficits can impact so much that we take for granted:
- Decreased or poor judgment with decisions
- Losing the ability to retrace steps
- Confusion with time or place
- Remembering people’s names, places and directions.
- Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home or work
- Trouble with vision such as difficulty reading, judging distance or determining color or contrast – all which impact driving
- Maintaining proper hygiene
- Challenges with words in speaking and or writing
All of these deficits can create an unsafe environment for a person with memory loss and can provide a great opportunity to introduce the idea of home care help in the home. If you are anxious or worried about a loved one being left alone at home, contact us today to learn how home care can help provide the peace of mind you need and a flexible, customized care solution for your loved one to help them stay at home safely!
Call Assistance Home Care Today! 314-466-3227